+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is "spam"

HWHT Starter metalhead is on a distinguished road

What is "spam"

What do u class as "spam"?

Banned Keuzeserver is on a distinguished road
    What is spam?

Spam is flooding the Internet with many copies of the same message, in an attempt to force the message on people who would not otherwise choose to receive it. Most spam is commercial advertising, often for dubious products, get-rich-quick schemes, or quasi-legal services. Spam costs the sender very little to send -- most of the costs are paid for by the recipient or the carriers rather than by the sender.

There are two main types of spam, and they have different effects on Internet users. Cancellable Usenet spam is a single message sent to 20 or more Usenet newsgroups. (Through long experience, Usenet users have found that any message posted to so many newsgroups is often not relevant to most or all of them.) Usenet spam is aimed at "lurkers", people who read newsgroups but rarely or never post and give their address away. Usenet spam robs users of the utility of the newsgroups by overwhelming them with a barrage of advertising or other irrelevant posts. Furthermore, Usenet spam subverts the ability of system administrators and owners to manage the topics they accept on their systems.

Email spam targets individual users with direct mail messages. Email spam lists are often created by scanning Usenet postings, stealing Internet mailing lists, or searching the Web for addresses. Email spams typically cost users money out-of-pocket to receive. Many people - anyone with measured phone service - read or receive their mail while the meter is running, so to speak. Spam costs them additional money. On top of that, it costs money for ISPs and online services to transmit spam, and these costs are transmitted directly to subscribers.

One particularly nasty variant of email spam is sending spam to mailing lists (public or private email discussion forums.) Because many mailing lists limit activity to their subscribers, spammers will use automated tools to subscribe to as many mailing lists as possible, so that they can grab the lists of addresses, or use the mailing list as a direct target for their attacks.

Source: abuse.spam.net

Hosting Guru Elemental is on a distinguished road
    That tells ya' everything you need to know. Hotmail emails are considered spam a lot, so I would watch out for those.

Hosting Guru Alex is on a distinguished road
    It defently does

Hosting Guru wyckedcrow is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    It defently does
    ^This here above is another example of spam.

Well, that was a nice long read Simply put, though, spam is just anything that neither is requested nor serves any useful purpose to the recipient/audience.

HWHT Addict rahulvnair is on a distinguished road

Spam

Anything obselete in net

HWHT Addict rahulvnair is on a distinguished road

Spamming

putting anything obselete into the internet(as of my knowledge)

HWHT Addict HostBody is on a distinguished road

Angry

My idea of spam, is something not wanted, sorta like the post above that says "It defently does" i actually dont call it spam, i call it bull**** well you get the idea, i hate it, i get a lot of spam on my email account "yahoo" in the bulk mail folder, i think it is a waste of time to even try to scam people, same thing with those fake spoof emails, gerrrr...

Hosting Guru needsupport is on a distinguished road
    Spam is defined as an unsolicited, unwanted message sent to you without your permission

HWHT Addict skynethosting is on a distinguished road
    Sending multiple, sometimes thousands, of unwelcome messages to a newsgroup or mailing list to promote a commercial product or Web site.or you could say Any activity designed to trick the search engines into giving a site a higher ranking. Common tactics include hiding keywords as white text on a white page background, submitting a web page to a search engine daily, and building doorway pages.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast