PDA

View Full Version : Who will help me make a control panel?

jtnhosting
02-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Ok. I'm going to make a control panel (like DA or cPanel) with the help of a few people.

No pay, just the good feeling of writing a control panel that is going to be used by many for their webhosting company.

Here's what we need to get started:

1. 25 people; PM me if you want to join. Only 25 people please.
2. A 5 GIG server to test all our latest betas; If you can donate please PM

Here are the requirements to join:

1. Experience with Linux
2. Know PHP and MySQL and CGI
3. At least 18 years old; I don't want kids playing around on this project
4. Good Attitude; This is going to be a big project. We don't want you to leave in the middle of it.

I hope we can get it finished within 6 months so PM me if you can help! I already have the plans and ideas!

I am not a good programmer. I am a collaborator so I'll be depending on you guys.

I expect this project to be fun on the other side. We can decide the name, layout....

-JTN

kawoyip
02-12-2006, 05:46 AM
the idea very great ! but l don't know php and MySQL ,cgi'
l M 14 AGE :D

jtnhosting
02-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Well if you learn and all, I'm sure you can help out.

Webviper2006
02-21-2006, 07:31 PM
I will help out. But i'm like a more of a C++ programmer, but I will try. Send PM.

HostBody
03-05-2006, 04:57 AM
Well i guess you could use C++ for the backend cant you?

jtnhosting
03-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Yeah maybe

HostBody
07-31-2006, 03:37 AM
Would this be open source?

thomasgplhost
07-05-2008, 02:24 PM
25 persons? That must be a JOKE !!!

I have been spending more than 6 years writing our open source control panel (my freshmeat project shows 6 years and 3 months now), our project must be the most active open source web hosting panel at the moment, and on all this time, we are only 3 persons actively working on the code. Mainly, it's myself only that writes in it.

25 persons working on the same control panel source code is just a dream, you will NEVER achieve it.

More over, rather than starting all from scratch, like so many people did, why don't you pickup your favorite project, and try to contribute in it? I'm not even talking about our project (you might not like it, it's your choice), but there's a big collection of projects already started. Why don't you join any of them? I'm sure that the authors would be so happy to receive contributions. We do receive quite often some help (like recently: mail alias group, or the webmoney payment gateway), and we are more than happy to integrate them. I'm sure it's same for all the open source panels!

Also, in how many years exactly do you feel like it's going to be ready? If you feel like it's going to be ready within 6 months, then you are as well mistaking A LOT. Such project take YEARS, and I'm not even talking about inclusion in mainline Unix distribution (after nearly 7 years, only now, we hope that our project will reach the next Debian stable (Lenny) when its out (announced for next September).

Why do I always see the same post about "hey, I'm starting, everything is shit, I will beat them all" (I'm not talking about you in this case), and so few contributors?

Also, saying "it's going to be like plesk and cpanel" makes, IMHO, no sense at all. If it's the same, why build it then? Don't you think your product should have something that the others don't have?

I hope my post will help (my intention is not at all to look you down, don't mistake on that),

Thomas Goirand

dh_eddie
07-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Seriously, you guys thinking of having 25 people ??? and all working on one. A bit out there.

You need years of work before you get even 50% of what cPanel has, as thats how long it took them. Hard to see, people sticking around for that long, with no benefit for years.

Don't get into anything this serious, until you establish yourself. (EX. a good income stream from something else, before you get into this), and make sure you know the complexity of the project in full :)

Its only a select few who will do it.

thomasgplhost - 6 years is good work. You guys should be benefiting a lot from your creation.

cjawcrusher512
08-01-2008, 03:45 AM
I agree with you !I support you . As formidable as the Sand Maker (http://www.sand-maker.com.cn/)

theguru
08-05-2008, 01:45 AM
more than 3 people working on a single piece of code is never a pretty scene, this won't end well bro.

d773hf82jhf721hf